What happened to gnome-settings-daemon?

Hey all,

Last week, I finally decided to pull Gnome 2.6 out of experimental. Lots
of thanks to all those involved.

One question though -- what happened to gnome-settings-daemon? I used to
run it when I felt more like KDE or a window manager of some kind, but
it seems not to exist on my system.

At the risk of asking a clueless question: why doesn't it? IIRC, in 2.4
it belonged to gnome-control-center. Doesn't it, anymore? Put simply:
how can I make GTK look the way it should when I'm not running Gnome?

Greets,
Tom