"debian menu" in gnome's "Applications" menu

i'm currently working very hard on deploying debian (testing w/gnome) in
a corporate desktop environment.  the main problem i'm having right now
is making the "applications" menu less confusing for the user.  i've
pretty much configured all of the submenus and renamed everything to
make it easy to understand, but now my problem is that below every
submenu there's the "debian menu".  to make it newbie-proof and to
conform to my boss' request, i need to get rid of the "Debian Menu".
i've researched this and attempted various things with no success.  any
help you all could give is very much appreciated.  thanks for the help.