Re: 2.6 install report -- session mgmt problems

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 08:46, Tim Otten wrote:
> > I downloaded shared-mime-info from a page mentioned in this list's archive,
>
> It's available from the alioth repository now, but it should really just
> get fixed finally...

Cool.

> BTW, I removed gnome-smproxy from my session a while ago because it did
> more bad than good for me.

The gnome-session-properties tool won't run. It complains:

** (gnome-session-properties:7688): CRITICAL **: file gsm-protocol.c: line
648 (gsm_protocol_new): assertion NOME_CLIENT_CONNECTED (gnome_client)'
failed

** (gnome-session-properties:7688): WARNING **: Could not connect to
gnome-session.

I eventually found the .gnome2/session file and disabled smproxy. All of
the other symptoms remain the same.

> > To reduce the number of variables, I made a new (empty) account and tried
> > to start GNOME -- but got the same problem. This time I let it run for
> > quite a while, and I found:
> >
> > * The "Session Manager Proxy" step lasts a long time
> > * The "Window Manager" step lasts a long time
> > * The other steps are quicker
> > * The "top" utility shows no active processes during the wait
>
> I also get delays on session startup with my main user, not with another
> user though. Haven't tracked down why yet either.

Revision: "The other steps are quicker" is wrong. "Nautilus" takes as long
as "Window Manager" according to the splashscreen, but the Nautilus icons
actually are visible and operational during the long wait. Clicking on the
splashscreen makes it go away, so I felt like Nautilus loaded quicker.
Also, when I log out of GNOME, Nautilus will continue running. Nautilus
also fails to connect to the session manager?

> > * When the system does start, windows don't get any decorations
> > * A metacity process _is_ running (asleep) after the system starts
> >
> > Through trial and error, I eventually found that calling "metacity
> > --sm-disable" on my own gets a working window manager. For example, I can
> > use an .xsession which says:
> >
> > 	gnome-session &
> > 	exec metacity --sm-disable
> >
> > Some applications are still problematic.  xterm and any GTK1 applications
> > will set up processes, but they sleep and don't display anything. Passing
> > '--sm-disable' to the GTK1 app's fixes them, but I couldn't get xterm to
> > work at all. (The standard GNOME applications, rxvt, and Xine run correctly
> > by default.)
>
> I don't have any of these problems. You should check anything related to
> session management. Anything interesting in ~/.xsession-errors?

The first message relates to session management:

SESSION_MANAGER=local/truffula:/tmp/.ICE-unix/7111
which: no  in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/games:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/bin:/bin)
which: no  in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/games:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/bin:/bin)

Most of the messages are warnings about locating themes. Not very
interesting.

When I log out, the panel is the only program that goes away. I press
Ctrl-Alt-Bkspc, and several more messages are logged:

The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'nautilus' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
Window manager warning: Failed to a open connection to a session manager,
so window positions will not be saved: IO error occured opening connection
Window manager warning: Lost connection to the display ':0.0';
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the window manager.

> > ii  libc6                       2.3.2.ds1-12 GNU C Library: Shared libraries an
>
> BTW, I'm still running libc6 from testing.

I tried downgrading to 2.3.2.ds1-11 (from testing), but it hasn't made a
difference. :(

Thanks for your quick reply.

- Tim