Re: gnome-volume-manager: does not receive any messages

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 02:50:06PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 02:12:27PM +0200, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > gvm just calls mount on the device. So there must be an fstab entry for
> > the devices that is mountable by the user.
> >
> > A generic way to automagically add new devices to fstab is in gvm's
> > upstream TODO.
>
> Yeah, I listened to Robert's talk about project utopia at FOSDEM, where
> he stated that this is a as-of-yet unresolved problem. I guess it's way
> too late for sarge, but this is pretty much downstream realm - Debian
> can decide how to do this, and I hope the respective maintainers will
> work together to make sarge+1 rock for hardware integration.

I was in the same room at FOSDEM :). It's indeed way to late for sarge. I
don't even know if it's a good idea to include the project utopia stack with
sarge as it's still not very mature.

> > Although it's a little out of gvm's scope imho.
>
> I agree. In order to get D-Bus and HAL to be taken seriously across the
> Free Software community, they need be kept decoupled from GNOME just
> like gstreamer - the same goes for whatever scheme is used to handle
> fstab.

> Documenting how the admin needs to change fstab in order for users to be
> able to use g-v-m would be very nice to have for sarge though - if that
> is not the case yet already.

Writing manpages for the binaries and a README.Debian about this issue is on
my TODO.

  Sjoerd
--
It is not every question that deserves an answer.
		-- Publilius Syrus