Re: gtk problems "help"

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 20:46:56 -0800, RedHat wrote:
> When trying to install gtkmm-1.2.8 by running ./configure on my Redhat 7.3
> Valhalla machine i get this following error message:

The debian-gtk-gnome mailing list is probably not the best place to get
support for Red Hat.

> checking for libsigc++ - version >= 0.8.5... configure: error: Libsigc++
> is required to compile Gtk--. If libsigc++ was installed but not found to
> be sane, most likely you have not placed the /usr/local/lib path in the
> library config file and run ldconfig.
>
> I've previously installed libsigc++-1.0.3-5.i386.rpm before attempting the
> gtkmm install.

With Red Hat, as with Debian, library packages are typically split into
separate runtime and development packages. In order to build software that
uses a library you need to have both installed. Most likely you don't have
the development package ("libsigc++-devel" or somesuch) installed.

HTH,
Ray
--
I think Microsoft should say, "You'll get a check from Bill Gates every time
you find an error."