Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

El mié, 05-11-2003 a las 00:55, Gustavo Noronha Silva escribió:
> Em Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:44:03 +0100, Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> escreveu:
>
> > > Then this change nothing. You are trying to customize the desktop in the
> > > wrong way. What we are talking about is to cutomize the desktop for
> > > users who have already a configuration. Changing the shemas file changes
> > > absolutely nothing for my configuration.
> >
> > That's true _only_ for that subset of keys that you have changed.
> >
> > *Hardly anyone* will change _all_ keys.
>
> That does not seem to be true for the splash image... it's set on my
> (user) gconf stuff and I did not modify it through gconf-editor, nor
> gconftool-2.

Where and how did you saw it?

> It is set whenever gnome-session boots for the first time, so the
> gconf.defaults stuff won't work.

It's not here and I'm using the standard Debian packages...

> > If someone has already deliberately chosen a custom splash image, s/he
> > is probably happy with it and nothing else should be imposed on
> > them. All others get a funky new Debian splash.
>
> *IF* he has done that, with the current system (update-alternatives)
> that won't change. The update-alternatives one will change the
> default, but will not mess with the user's gconf key.

Of course, but we are talking about the best way to change that
preference, if GNOME gives us a native way to do it, why should we use
external methods?

> > That's respecting users' freedom of choice.
>
> It's being done right now.

Of course, the alternatives system gives you the same feature, but what
happens if tomorrow gnome-session changes the .png file location? (for
example to let the user change it following his/her gnome theme). The
user will not get the Debian splash screen until we get a new
desktop-base package with the new path. IMHO that's a bug.

Cheers.

--
Carlos Perelló Marín
Debian GNU/Linux Sid (PowerPC)