Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Em Tue, 04 Nov 2003 20:44:03 +0100, Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> escreveu:

> > Then this change nothing. You are trying to customize the desktop in the
> > wrong way. What we are talking about is to cutomize the desktop for
> > users who have already a configuration. Changing the shemas file changes
> > absolutely nothing for my configuration.
>
> That's true _only_ for that subset of keys that you have changed.
>
> *Hardly anyone* will change _all_ keys.

That does not seem to be true for the splash image... it's set on my
(user) gconf stuff and I did not modify it through gconf-editor, nor
gconftool-2.

It is set whenever gnome-session boots for the first time, so the
gconf.defaults stuff won't work.

> If someone has already deliberately chosen a custom splash image, s/he
> is probably happy with it and nothing else should be imposed on
> them. All others get a funky new Debian splash.

*IF* he has done that, with the current system (update-alternatives)
that won't change. The update-alternatives one will change the
default, but will not mess with the user's gconf key.

> That's respecting users' freedom of choice.

It's being done right now.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>