Re: Debianizing Debian's GNOME/KDE a bit more

Em Mon, 03 Nov 2003 19:15:37 +0100, Christian Marillat <marillat.christian@wanadoo.fr> escreveu:

> Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Em Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:33:08 +0100, Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@pemas.net> escreveu:
> >
> >> Now, I think it's better if we add this change to gnome-session package
> >> and gnome-session should depends on desktop-base package.
> >
> > That would work. What does Christian say about this? Christian?
>
> I disagree. User don't want to use gnome-session and I'll receive bug
> report for a desktop-base dependency.

What 'users'? I believe the kind of users you are talking about is not
the kind of user who has the most potential to using GNOME. I think this
kind of decision is the kind that benefits that small amount of obsessive
geeks who can't bear a dependency of 12kb if it's 'unecessary'.

I believe, though, that we should think about the desktop role that
GNOME plays and support our desktop end-users.

So you can simply tag the bug wontfix and carry on. We don't need to
satisfy every bug reporter... it's a design decision. I believe gnome-session
and, say, kdebase are the way to go on this, it's gonna make things
work the Right Way(tm).

HP writes about UIs:

"The traditional, de facto free software line between when a preference
 should exist and when it shouldn't is "a preference should exist if someone
 implements it or asks for it." No one is going to seriously defend this one
 though. At least, no one who's maintained an application and seen the sheer
 number of non-overlapping feature/preference requests you typically receive
 can take this one seriously."

That's to say that making desktop-base a "preference" will make things
quite more complicated for the Debian Desktop project, and will have
no real benefits for the user. Let's make our design decisions and tag
the bugs 'wontfix'.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>