New dependences in gnome-core, might be better in gnome?

Dear Debian and GNOME developers,

Sorry for stepping in this developers list as a simple user. I decided
not to use the BTS for reasons explained below.

First of all, in order to avoid flamewars, I want to make clear that
this subject is a matter of opinion, and that the Debian package
maintainer opinion is what at the end will prevail. I do not try to force
an option, but to open some questions.

I follow regularly this list, and do not remember a discussion like this
taking place (except for the question of whether and how to include a
"fam" dependency). If this has been discussed before, please forgive me
and send me a pointer to the relevant discussion in the list archives.

Today's gnome-core upgrade (version 35) includes some new dependences:
gnomemeeting, nautilus-cd-burner, calctool, gucharmap, zenity .

Although these might be all useful packages, in my humble an personal
opinion some of them exceed the purpose of gnome-core dependencies.

According to the package description "gnome-core" provides essential
components of the GNOME environment, whereas "gnome" provides a
full-fledged GNOME environment with additional programs.

If we look at the GNOME 2.4 release we find that some of its programs
(epiphany-browser) are shipped in the gnome package, others in
gnome-core (gnomemeeting, gnome-panel, gpdf ...) .

While some of the packages in gnome-core (IMHO) are truly core packages
of the GNOME environment (gnome-panel, nautilus ...), some others can be
though as useful applications for many people, but not truly essential
(e.g. nautilus-cd-burner is of no use if one does not have a cd-burner,
gnomemeeting is only useful to people wishing to make network
conference, etc.). Of course, the distinction is not clear, since some
of those might be in a border line (e.g. gpdf might not be truly
essential, but a PDF reader is, nowadays, something very convenient to
have installed in most systems).

Therefore, it is my opinion that some of the packages on the second
group described above should be better shipped in the gnome package
instead of gnome-core. In addition (or instead of) they could be in the
"Recommends" line of gnome-core (as the accessibility tools are now).

The list of packages that I would not like to install by default in my
system are:

gnomemeeting, nautilus-cd-burner, calctool, gucharmap, zenity, acme

Some other people might like in addition to remove gnome-gv (since
in nowadays computer environment most documents are created in PDF) --
NOTE: I do use gnome-gv, and would install it, but I see that it might
be useless to many people.

All the above packages are (IMHO) good candidates to be moved to "gnome"
and/or "Recommends". Of course, I might miss something (e.g. maybe one
really needs "acme" installed for some reason), and, as I said before,
this list is a matter of personal opinion. Other people might have more
packages to add to the above list.

I am not opening a bug report, since the inclusion of (at least some)
the above packages had previously wishlist bugs (216576, 216846) closed
with the present gnome-core upload, and opening a wishlist bug might
lead to contradictory wishlist bugs in the BTS which could never be
resolved for both parts (e.g. Bug1: "please remove xxx from depends",
Bug2: "please include xxx in depends"). As I said this is a matter of
personal opinion, and different people will have different opinions on
the subject.

I understand perfectly that gnome-core is a convenience package, and I
can just remove it and install my preferred gnome packages one by one if
I don't like what it includes. I am writing this e-mail because I
believe that the suggested changes might improve the usefulness of the
GNOME packages in Debian.

To finalize, just let me thank and congratulate all the Debian and GNOME
developers, for making such a great environment as GNOME, and providing
excellent packages for Debian.

Best regards, and sorry for the long post.

Jaume

--
Please answer to the group/list. Don't CC me.