Re: shutdown from gnome logout dialog

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 04:24:53PM +0200, Jarno Gassenbauer wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 15:27, Moray Allan wrote:
> > Hi, your patch sounds good, but just a quick question:
> >
> > On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 02:33, Jarno Gassenbauer wrote:
> > > If you hit the cancel button in the gnome logout dialog then GDM will
> > > remember your selection until you open the logout dialog again. Of
> > > course, the radio button you selected the last time will be
> > > pre-activated for you.
> >
> > Do you mean that if I bring up the dialog, select 'shut down', then
> > press cancel, when I next bring up the dialog 'shut down' will still be
> > selected?
> >

> Yes, that's true. Actually it wasn't planned.
>
> The reason was that I didn't want to send the logout action change
> command to GDM after the user hits 'OK'. It might not arrive in time,
> that is, before gnome-session exits. And even if it arrives in GDM in
> time, it still has to be resent in time from the GDM master process to
> the GDM slave process that runs the X server and gnome-session. The
> slave process needs this information to know that it should neither
> restart the X server nor provide the login prompt anymore. Rather, it
> should tell the master process that the user wishes to log out as if he
> had chosen the 'logout' entry from a login prompt menu.

What about simply waiting for the response from GDM before proceeding
with the gnome logout ?

> Sounds twisted, I know. But the slave process must be notified and
> do the actual shutdown request to the GDM master process. Otherwise
> the master process doesn't know when the Post Session script is done.
> This script is run by the slave process.
>
> Back to your question, which leads to a question I tried to avoid:
>
> If the command is sent after pressing 'OK', should gnome-session wait
> for the acknowledge from the GDM master process? Currently the user
> can wait for us by watching the radio button become sensitive again.
> In practice this is so fast that it doesn't even flicker noticeable.

So, if it is really fast, there should be no problem in doing it at okay
time.

> How about having gnome-session wait for GDM's response after hitting
> 'OK' and only continue after the response or a timeout?

Yep, this sounds reasonable. When the timeout is reached, it will
logout, but there is no way to ensure that GDM will effectively logout
or not, right ?

It would be nice if the timeout was configurable, as a gconf hidden option
only maybe. I guess it will only take longer time when you are on
non-local sessions, and in this case i doubt people will want to enable
this feature anyway.

Friendly,

Sven Luther