Re: shutdown from gnome logout dialog

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 02:21:32PM +0200, Jarno Gassenbauer wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 09:15, Sven Luther wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 03:33:25AM +0200, Jarno Gassenbauer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I made 2 patches for gdm and gnome-session to trigger machine
> > > shutdown/reboot/suspend from the gnome logout dialog. Now gnome-session
> > >
> > > * opens a connection to GDM via the socket in /tmp/.gdm_socket
> > > * asks GDM about which actions are available (shutdown, reboot,
> > >   suspend). radio buttons for actions that aren't available will
> > >   be set insensitive.
> > > * updates the logout action variable in GDM each time you click a radio
> > >   button
> > > * greys out the radio button (makes it unselectable), waiting for GDM's
> > >   acknowledge
> > > * activates and makes the radio button clickable again upon GDM's
> > >   response. kind of visual feedback.
> >
> > This sounds really cool.
> >
> Thanks. Hope it works not only on my current setup.
>
> The interesting part is that George fixed two DoS holes in his gdm
> lately. Now gdm accepts at most 20 commands per connection. At least
> this was the case in the patches he sent to me (only a few hours after
> I notified him about the holes, cool!). I haven't checked if the
> limit of 20 commands made it into the new 2.4.1.7 release, too.
>
> When the gnome logout dialog shows up, it needs 5 commands just to
> authenticate and to query the 4 logout actions. So the user can click
> the radio buttons only 15 times, after that gdm will close the
> connection and the user will be stuck with the last action he chose.
> Serves him right - he shouldn't be so indecisive ;-)
>
> (Well, theoretically he could outsmart the lockup by hitting cancel
> and fireing up the logout dialog again, getting 15 more clicks)

Why you don't store the action in the logout dialog, and only
communicate with gdm once the user presses the logout ok button.

> > > I think my patches won't make it into the current debian unstable
> > > because that functionality is gnome 2.6 stuff. Just posting it
> > > here for the impatient, like me.
> >
> > Why do you think they won't ? Is there a reason not to apply them to the
> > not yet existing 2.4 packages ?
> >

> I agree to Jeff, but I'd maintain the patch until it becomes official.
> Well, at most for 10 years or so...

Well, experimental packages could be made. And i seriously don't
understand why it is not in the official packages, it is clearly a
usefull feature, or why did redhat implement it ? But then redhat
employs many gnome developers, no ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther