Re: shutdown from gnome logout dialog

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 12:42:42AM +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sven Luther">

> > > Safety (it's a feature, not a fix), and attempting to stay close to
> > > upstream.
> >
> > Paranoia more likely. If it doesn't influence other code, why not use at
> > least try it out (by uploading patched version of the unstable packages to
> > experimental for example).
>
> It's unusual for Debian to include non-bugfix patches in packages without
> very good reason. It's also very unusual for GNOME to include non-bugfix

Well, you must be having a different vision of debian than i have. It is
unusual for debian to include non-bugfix packages for the stable
release, but nothing is stoping people from modifying upstream if
needed. I do so myself, altough i usually feed the changes back to
upstream with which i have good contacts, and in some case the debian
maintainer has even become the defacto upstream, or some maintainer are
removing features from upstream because of legal reasons or because
upstream is doing strange things.

Also, really, there is absolutely no reason to not upload such modified
packages to experimental, it is there for that.

Furthermore, i really don't see what is the risk in this patch.
Rejecting it just for the sake of it is no good, if you give reasons for
not having it, ok i may be convinced, but just like that ...

> patches in stable series releases without very good reason. This discipline
> greatly benefits stability, so it's worth following.

... it gives me doubt. Really, since ever that this feature has been
proposed or requested on this list, it was opposed and said to be not
the right way, and now that it is implemented in what was said to be the
right way, it should not be applied, even in experimental ? And then,
redhat has had this feature for years, altough implemented differently,
so is there some hidden agenda here ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther