Re: gnome-velocity packages now incoming

Carlos Perelló Marín <carlos@pemas.net> writes:
> The future is all UTF-8, it's the best way to work correctly across a
> multi-language world. Just look at MacOSX, RedHat and Windows (I think
> Windows is already with Unicode but I'm not sure).
>
> I think you should start using the .UTF-8 locales by default.

I suppose maybe it works better if you don't breath on it too strongly,
but gnome's support for utf8 seems ... fragile.

I normally use LANG=ja_JP.eucJP, and everything (including gnome panel/apps)
works fine; I tried using LANG=ja_JP.utf8 as my login locale (set by gdm) a
while ago, and while emacs handled it correctly, gnome apps started flaking
out and crashing left and right (this was gnome v.whatever was in unstable a
few months ago).  Maybe when 2.4 shows up I'll try again...

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?