Re: gnome-velocity packages now incoming

Hi.

Kyle Davis (upstream) also assures me that an improved final release of
0.1.0 will be out within weeks. So give it a go and please give us some
feedback as to what needs fixing for 0.1.0final or can be improved in
future releases.

It still needs to be polished, yet is faster than Nautilus, and I did not experienced any crashes, except at starting first time. Here is the list of things that could be improved:

1. I use my home dir as desktop. Velocity automaticaly creates Desktop directory, it would be nice if it didn't. And it would be nice if Velocity had such feature.

2. Something wrong with displaying UTF-8. I have locale lt_LT.iso8859-13, and I have some folders created with Nautilus, which have utf-8 characters. Nautilus displays them correctly, Velocity does not.

3. There is no alignment to grid.

4. It is nice that you can change icon size and spacing, but is it necessary? There should be an option to do this automaticaly, how nautilus does. Now catalogs and files with long names are displayed truncated, or strangely wrapped. For example Documents are wrapped at n. This does not look nice.

5. Preferences menu should be displayed correctly. Now if I open preferences-
Look & Feel -> View Profiles-> Icons -> Preferences I must increase the size
of the window, so that text for example Top-left draw-right is displayed normally.

To sum up, the only advantage of Velocity for now is speed, yet with some polish it could be a viable alternative to Nautilus.

Mpiktas