Re: Fam dependency

Le jeu 02/10/2003 à 17:09, Jon Colverson a écrit :
> I disagree. fam is a nicety, but I don't think any core functionality
> requires it, and I think it'd be wrong to label it a hard-dependency.

True.

> I don't run fam myself, since I'm adverse to running portmap. I haven't
> yet figured out if it's possible to make portmap listen only on the
> loopback interface but by default the portmap package listens on all
> interfaces.

Maybe this should be the default for portmap. It would also allow to
stop having harden conflict with portmap (and it wouldn't be nice to
have gnome conflict with harden).

Maybe it is not possible to do this by default because of other packages
depending on its availability on all interfaces (NIS and NFS), but what
about putting the portmap binary in a portmap-daemon package, and build
2 packages on it, portmap and portmap-local? Aj, any comments?