Re: metacity slowness

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:31:32AM +0200, Michel Dänzer scribbled:

[snip]
> > > I fail to see how metacity can have an impact on x11perf, it certainly
> > > doesn't here.
> > That's not what I meant by pointing it out, but rather the comment the guy
> > makes about metacity being sluggish.
>
> Because of the seemingly uninformed remark about it and xmms?
I assume his xmms remark is just an example of the slowness, although not a
very good one since xmms has always been a pain in the neck to move around
:>

> > The x11perf is just for comparison with some model system, I presume.
>
> If the bandwidth to the framebuffer is low, that may explain at least
> some of the slowness you're seeing (apps using the RENDER extension slow
> to handle expose events).
A comment in metacity code states that it uses the pixmap backstore to avoid
handling the expose events. Is it possible that the pixmap -> surface blit
might be causing the slowness because of a 2D acceleration bug in the radeon
driver?

[snip]
> > flicker. In fact, when switching to a workspace with maximized mozilla
> > window displaying a largish document I'm pretty much positive that the
> > window interior is redrawn twice. Anyhow, not knowing what's the cause, I
> > know that metacity is really, really slow on a fast system :(
>
> The thing is that different people can have very different perceptions
> of what's 'fast' and what's 'slow'. I can't seem to tell much difference
> between metacity and sawfish here (except that opaque window resizing
> works much better with metacity :), YMMV.
You mean the stroboscope effect? :)

marek