metacity slowness

Hey list,

  It's probably not exactly the right list to ask this question, but I'm
starting here since I've heard from slackware and gentoo users that they
have no such problem on their systems. The problem is simple - metacity is
painfully slow at repainting windows (or desktop on workspace switch). I
vaguely remember that the reason for that was that metacity used full
backing store blits using the pixmap library, which must be quite slow,
indeed. I tried to switch to sawfish recently, but it doesn't work
correctly with the gnome2's panel so I had to switch back (even though it
was really fast...). It's quite an annoying experience to actually see the
desktop repainting on a fast machine (Athlon 2400+, 1GB RAM, Hercules
Radeon 9000 128MB RAM)... I'm running XFree 4.3.0-0pre1v1 with
xserver-xfree86-dri-trunk, compiled with athlon optimizations. Metacity is
also compiled with athlon opts but that doesn't help much, alas. Is anybody
else experiencing the same problem? And is there any other window manager
that's fully compliant with the gnome2 WM specs?

TIA,

marek