Re: Gnome 2.2 in testing

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:39:39PM +0200, Johannes Rohr wrote:
>> John McCutchan <ttb@tentacle.dhs.org> writes:
>> > What is holding gnome 2.2 back from testing?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Apart from what has been said already - the Control Center is still
>> held back by buggy XScreenSaver (which is not even part of Gnome, but
>> the version of it in testing still depends on the old
>> gnomecc/libcapplet0).
>>
>> The XScreenSaver maintainer doesn't seem to care too much. I asked him
>> weeks ago tag the RC bugs 'sid sarge', at least, to make it clear to
>> the testing scripts that both versions are equally buggy, thus having
>> the newer version in testing wouldn't break anything.
>
> I don't think that works, and I believe it's deliberate. (I.e. people
> should fix bugs rather than trying to convince the testing scripts to
> ignore them.)
>
>> But somehow, he didn't even manage to do that.
>>
>> Christian, in case you read this: Could you, as a last resort, request
>> libcapplet0 to be removed from testing?
>
> I think you must mean xscreensaver, not libcapplet0.

No, I was thinking about deliberately breaking xscreensaver by
removing it.

> libcapplet0 will automatically disappear once nothing in testing
> depends on it any more, and its presence isn't doing any harm. If
> the RM wanted to force control-center through and hang the
> consequences, he could already do so.

> But, in any case, removing xscreensaver isn't sufficient; pilot-link is
> the difficult part, and for that you need to arrange for kdelibs to be
> ready for testing (which it actually nearly is now, but we need to wait
> for glibc 2.3.2). Also, somebody needs to fix gnome-pim (#201219)

I'd say, Gnome-pim is obsolete for the moment and it should be
removed, until the Gnome 2 port finally gets ready, which is probably
quite some time ahead. Waiting for upstream to finally complete the
port might further delay Gnome 2 in testing for months and months.

> and
> linpqa (#203053), arrange for gnome-pilot to build on arm, arrange for
> gnome-pilot-conduits to build on arm and sparc, and arrange for
> sylpheed-claws to build on mips and sparc.

[...]

I thought that sylpheed hasn't ever been ported to Gnome 2?!?

Thanks,

Johannes