Re: Gnome 2.4

<quote who="Sven Luther">

> > On the other hand, it can be done completely independently of Debian
> > manpower and serverpower, by non-maintainers (cooperating with official
> > Debian maintainers) who are interested in working with fresh GNOME
> > Desktop packages on woody for fun or for work.
>
> But it needs official endorsement, if not, then it will be no different
> than the thousand or so savage backports that exists around the net.

Nono, you have FOSS best practices backwards: We do it, and *prove* that it
is *worthy* of official endorsement. Then it will be the one that everyone
talks about, and thus rather different to "the thousand or so other
backports that exist around the net".

> Two things though, this will be a x86 only repository i guess, and you
> would not have access to all the debian autobuilders for different
> architectures, right ?

Initially, I guarantee that it would be i386 only. Should it prove to be a
very useful addition to Debian, perhaps people who care about other archs
will contribute. "If you build it, they will come."

> And second, would this be for gnome packages only, or a generalised
> backport repository ? In particular, how would you react to having KDE
> backported packages there ?

There's certainly scope for a generalised backport repository, but I would
like to concentrate on Debian Desktop stuff first and foremost, at least for
now. I wouldn't be too fussed including KDE stuff if someone wanted to help
out, my only worry is the very noticeable extra load that KDE builds imply.
:-)

> > The official Debian maintainers won't have to do anything beyond
> > responding to dependency-related wishlist bugreports, so that
> > *hopefully*, our woody backports will not require much human
> > intervention at all.
>
> Yep, that would be nice, but in practice, many packages have problem
> building in woody, due to dependencies.

I think you missed a crucial point in my paragraph above. :-)

> Yep, but i am not sure it responds to the real need

Extremadura, Spain: 80,000 Debian/GNOME desktops, potentially 150,000. An
incredible project that is raising eyebrows across the world, corporate and
community. Massive exposure for Debian and GNOME. I probably won't ever see
it in action, but I'll certainly try to help out. :-)

Real need? My word. :-)

- Jeff

            What did the sausage say to the tomato at breakfast?
               "There's not mushroom this morning, is there?"