baffled by gnome font problem

I am baffled by a problem that I don't know who to blame for :)

First, my box is debian sid, current yesterday.

Second, my user's and my wife's gnomes, fortunately, work fine.

Any new users I create don't have the same luck, and several
miscelaneous users I've created over time don't, except those that
do. I can see no patterns in permissions, group ownership, nor config
files.

The problem is this: once gnome-session starts, gtk2 apps (including
gnome) don't display fonts. I'm sure they _think_ they display fonts,
only very large ones mixed with extremely small ones. Boxes and
dialogs are any width and height; I could get a screenshot if you
think it'll help in any way other than a headache.

The weird thing is, _before_ gnome-session starts the gtk2 apps work
fine, including things like gnome-control-center. I can even have it
running, if I start gnome-session, *bang* no more fonts.

Please, could anyone sprinkle some insight on this? Give me any
pointers?

TIA

--
John Lenton (john@grulic.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
Todo hombre lleva en sí un dictador y un anarquista.