Reporting bugs

My first question is when I find a problem with say the "Preferred
Applications" feature in Gnome, how do I know what package it is related
to, in order to file a bug report?

For example I set my xterm pref:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/hendry/pictures/screenshot/xtermpref.png

And gnome-terminal starts when I start a new terminal. That is surely a
bug?

Another really annoying element is Sessions. It does not work. It is
broken. I don't want it. How do I get rid of it?
Countless times I tried editing the Advanced->Session dialogue. Yet
still annoying programs start up when I boot my machine. Like the
Session dialogue. I don't understand it.

Is there a feature in metacity to make the window always on top like
kde can? I really really desperately want something like this.

Kind regards,
-Kai Hendry