Re: GNOME, TrueType fonts and xfs-xtt

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 19:56, Sam Couter wrote:
> Gratuitously broken == modern? Yay!
>
> Could fontconfig not query the X server (and therefore the font servers
> it's using) for the fonts it knows about?

Well, X doesn't provide enough information for fontconfig/Xft to work
properly, and it was found that putting the fonts on the client side is
actually more efficient.  So it was done that way.

See http://fontconfig.org and http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/ if you're
interested.

> > Use NFS etc. to share them out, then tell fontconfig where they are by
> > editing /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.
>
> Bah! I may as well just install them on the local machine!

If you really want to have a font server, have a look at STSF
(http://stsf.sourceforge.net).  They provide a fontconfig/Xft wrapper
that enables GTK+ programs to use fonts hosted on an STSF server.  I
haven't tried it out yet though, so can't say how well it works.

Roger