Re: 'shutdown' options

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 10:41:01AM +0200, Harald Staub wrote:
> Since I am not on the list debian-gtk-gnome, it is easier for me to send my
> answer to you privately. Feel free to forward it.

Well, the debian-gtk-gnome is an open list, so there should not have
been much problem in writing to it, anyway, i have done a reply to the
list to of this mail, which will be enough, i think, altough the
threading will be lost.

> The following is not a solution, but works for me. During booting (this
> should be somewhere else, of course), I do
>
> touch /var/lock/console/mickey

Ok, if i am not wrong, this would eliminate the need to patch
gnome-session, and is what redhat does.

the /var/lock/console/<user> is just for guaranteing that the person
shutting of the box is the user at the console, right ?

That will not survive once XFree86 get multi-seat support, but we can
worry about this when it happens.

> This (besides adding suid for halt, shutdown and adding path for poweroff,
> reboot; sorry, I may have forgotten something) gives user mickey the
> shutdown options.

Yep, altough i prefer the sudo/gksu wrapper myself.

Friendly,

Sven Luther