window manager at start of session through gdm / xdm in woody

I would like to know the best way to implement a functionality for gdm
and xdm similar to the one in kdm, that allows you to select a pure
window manager, or kde, gnome-session at the beginning when you log in.
The way through update-alternatives defines it in a global manner, but
then you can not change it when you log in. I assume that some script
could pick one from .wmanagerrc (which by the way doesn't have a very
useful man page, is it fixed for sarge/sid already?), but I am not sure
how to do it. Any help will be very much appreciated,
Tony.