Re: compiling gaim for woody and xfree86 4.1

On Mon, 2003-05-19 at 02:33, Caitrin Torres wrote:
> I'm running Woody, generally with KDE, and I'd like to upgrade to a
> current version of gaim.  AFAIK, using a precompiled version isn't an
> option for me since the only debs I've found require xfree86 4.2.1,
> and as I understand it support for my video card was dropped between
> versions 4.1 and 4.2.

I am the maintainer of the gnome2.2 backport for woody.  I did actually
get the backport to run under 4.1.0, but I don't know how stable it
would prove day to day
(http://www.gnome.org/start/2.2/notes/rninstallation.html recommends
xfree86 4.2).  In order to do it you need to build libxft2,
libxrender1.1 and libfontconfig1 from source (and changed their
debian/control files to use xlibs 4.1.0).  Add this to sources.list

deb-src
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody/ gnome2.2/

apt-get source libxft2 libfontconfig1 libxrender1.1

then cd into each source directory (in the order above) and do:

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

You may need debhelper etc, if so, just grab them from:

deb
http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woody/ gnome2.2/

Install the resulting packages, and then you should be able to do:

apt-get install gaim

from my backport.  Note, this is a mostly untested configuration and may
not work well.  However, it is probably at least worth a try since you
can easily uninstall all the packages mentioned without hurting your
system.

Jamie

--
James Strandboge