Re: root login

n Thu, 2003-05-01 at 18:25, Walter Reed wrote:

<snipped>

> I WILL agree that some things could be a little easier in Debian or
> other flavors of Linux. For example it would be nice to have a GUI
> root-wrapper that could be accessed via the standard menu like the "Run
> Program...", or maybe even just a checkbox option to Run Program that
> does the "su" thang. It would also be nice if admin level apps would
> just ASK for the root password if needed, and continue on.

> The bottom line, though, is that it's just not that hard to do it with
> the existing methods. In fact, it's MUCH faster and easier to just open
> a term window and /bin/su and do your stuff than to logout, login as
> root, do stuff, then logout again, and re-login as a normal user as the
> "pro-root-login" camp is pushing. The "root IS my normal user" camp is
> just too loopy to even address here.

<more snipped>

There are utilities in gnome 2 (in sid at least, I don't have a sarge
box handy to check if it's there too) that already do what you just
described. See the gnomesu package.

Figure I might as well toss my 2cents,  I for one, think the system menu
for the console should be enabled by default, with Allowroot login
turned off by default.  that way at least the the people who (feel the)
need to log in as root at the console can through the extra step of
enabling it if they choose.  I thought Linux/Unix was supposed to allow
you to shoot yourself in the foot?   :)