Re: How to fix a crashing Nautilus

Ryan Verner <xfesty@computeraddictions.com.au> writes:

> Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS - I'm using the latest nvidia (source) packages from
> apt.
>
> I upgraded xfree86/nvidia stuff before I even touched the newer gnome2
> packages, and I don't remember experiencing any issues.

I also use the NVidia source packages in sid, and haven't had any
issues.

One thing you need to check, though: make sure the nvidia driver is
compiled with the same version of gcc that compiled your kernel. If you
follow Debian unstable (which I think you because otherwise you would not be
enjoying Gnome 2.2 :-) then you must be aware that gcc 3.2 is now the
default compiler, and using kernel modules and kernels compiled with
different gcc versions is looking for trouble (I was getting kernel
panics when I tried ALSA modules compiled with gcc 3.2 under a kernel
compiled with gcc 2.95.)

The easiest way to check that everything is in order is this:

peloy@canaima:~$ strings /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.o | grep gcc
gcc version 3.2.2 20030109 (Debian prerelease)
peloy@canaima:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.4.20 (root@canaima) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030109 (Debian
prerelease)) #16 Wed Jan 22 23:17:28 EST 2003

In this case you can see that the kernel and the nvidia module were
compiled with the same compiler version.

Good luck!

Eloy.-