Re: How to fix a crashing Nautilus

On Don, 2003-01-23 at 00:31, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 07:07:06PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On Mit, 2003-01-22 at 09:25, Sean Proctor wrote:
> >
> > > things are *much* slower for me than they were a few days ago. I think it
> > > was either the upgrade to gtk 2.2 or perhaps a metacity upgrade. when I
> > > drag around a box, it moves very slow, and xfree86 starts using a large
> > > portion of my processor (60 - 70%, metacity at around 10 - 15%, gnome-term
> > > (the app I'm moving around) at 10%, xterm (the non-gtk app in the background,
> > > using a gtk app like nautilus or freecell seemed to make things worse
> > > (around 10% or so)) at around 3%.
> >
> > I suggest trying a different metacity version, 2.4.13 is very bad in my
> > experience. I downgraded to 2.4.8-4 for now.
>
> 2.4.13 has a bug that makes window move/resize lag, try 2.4.21. (Or
> 2.4.8, or latest CVS)

Glad to know it's fixed again in later versions.

> > As for GTK, I also got the impression that 2.2 is slightly slower
> > sometimes, I think in part due to better layout (e.g. the tasklist group
> > menu is never partly offscreen now).
>
> The only change that might affect GTK 2.0 vs. 2.2 speed very much is
> moving from Xft1/core-X-fonts to Xft2. This should make things faster
> on proper X drivers,

Indeed, Xft font rendering seems to be faster now, which is great.

> but some of them have buggy RENDER and such, apparently.

I'm only aware of the proprietary nvidia drivers being broken to cause
slowness; mga is the only driver with RENDER acceleration that comes
with XFree86, all others use the same software rendering code (which is
stunningly fast IMHO).