Re: Piecemeal upgrades

<quote who="Robert McQueen">

> On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 12:09:26PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > It is most likely related to 2.0 apps with 2.1 libraries. Someone needs
> > to come up with a solution to these piecemeal upgrades - it's a hard
> > problem though.
>
> Not really, it's a frequently faced problem.

So... why is it not working like clockwork? In my mind, that indicates a
problem.

> The answer is a 'staging area' where packages can be built against new
> libraries and uploaded prior to those libraries hitting unstable.

staging area' to see the problems with this.

> It worked very well indeed for perl 5.8.

Now that the GNOME maintainers are much better organised than they were for
the 2.0 upgrade, perhaps they will have a similar level of success in the
future. But there's another problem with this upgrade, so again, planning
before uploading is absolutely crucial to managing these things sanely.

- Jeff

--
   "Anyone getting 1 Gigabit/sec for $20 is tele-commuting from the year
                           2217..." - Paul Haddon