Re: Crux & icon themes

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:18:37PM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > The new upstream version of the GTK Crux engine includes an icon theme.
> > I'm going to put that in a separate binary package
>
> I think that would be a little bit silly. ;-)

Would it? As I said, icon themes supposedly are to become more generic
than just GNOME. Say GNUStep starts supporting them, and let's suppose
for a moment J. User has no GTK applications installed at all but he
does want to use the Crux (or another, pick whichever you want) icon
theme. Why should he be installing the GTK engine, the Metacity theme,
etc. just to get it?
The chances that he doesn't have any GTK apps installed are small, I
know. But if he does, and he wants to use a *Step looking alike GTK
theme, yet use the Aqua icon theme (yea, he has a bad taste for
combination ;-) then why should he have to install the pixmap engine?
(which is what most Aqua GTK themes use AFAIK)

> I guess if you thought the metatheme stuff was it's own special thing, you
> could call it crux-metatheme and include all the icons and things, and
> depend on the GTK+ 2.x theme.
>
> > On a related note, what about metathemes? Should they be packaged separate,
> > too, being (AFAIK) only one XML file and perhaps a preview image? How are
> > they handled by GTK & GNOME, and what happens if say the GTK theme specified
> > in a metatheme I choose isn't installed?
>
> It will just fall back to the default.

Are metathemes to become the default way of picking themes? Will it
still be possible for a user to choose different metacity, GTK and icon
themes? (Which I'm sure of *I'll* want even if I don't use GNUStep)

Regards,

Filip

--
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned
 in school."