Re: Nautilus crashes

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 11:54, John McCutchan wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 11:44:55AM -0500, Luis M wrote:
> > I noticed from this bug report that you are using kernel 2.6.0-test9.
> > Usually I see problems with applications using this kernel, and when I
> > switch to my trusty 2.4.22 (custom compiled) things work fine. If you do
> > have another kernel available, i think it's worth giving it a try.
>
> I am not interested in running a 2.4 kernel. Besides I had been running
> 2.6.0-test9 for a month before I had any problems. If nautilus doesn't
> run correctly on a 2.6 kernel nautilus needs to be fixed.

Goodness, a simple "apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.xx" would do. You
would boot and test, then say "no, that didn't fix the problem" or "yes,
the problem was fixed by using this kernel". In reality, too many things
can possibly be a cause for Nautilus crashing. I just noticed that you
were using a 2.6.x kernel and I pointed that out -- because of previous
experience with things breaking on 2.6.

> > In general, when I have problems with Nautilus, they are related to FAM
> > (running as inetd). When FAM runs as a daemon, things are pretty smooth.
>
> Well this definitly doesn't have anything to do with FAM. I have a
> feeling its bonobo, because I am getting crashes in panel applets and
> now that I have stopped running fam I get crashes in nautilus when a
> view closes.

I'm using the latest Nautilus with all the latest libraries from Debian
unstable, and a 2.6.0-test## kernel. Things are rock solid in my case.
Except that if I need to transcode something, I know I have to reboot in
2.4.22 (which I keep around just in case). Same thing if I need to do
anything USB related. (I'm digging to find why my usb doesn't work, but
so far I have not gotten a solution for it anywhere... maybe it's time
to file a bug report with the kernel.org people...) I don't think test11
will become stable, and if it does, then it will only be an illusion :-)
Stable for whom? In my case, there are a lot of things that don't work
right, and a lot of others who work better than in a 2.4 kernel (Unreal
Tournament is a lot faster and I can go to any resolution and back with
no problem. I could not do this on 2.4.xx). (As a side note, I'm using a
SMP system with lots of physical RAM, 2.4 doesn't cut it in this box).

> Does the maintainer of nautilus even look at bug reports?
>
> John

Another suggestion, try to be polite. I know that you are pissed off
with a crappy nautilus crashing and gnome being unstable but hey, you
ARE running Debian Unstable after all. So take it easy. At this point
you could probably move down to "Sarge" since it has gnome 2.4 packages
and it's a lot more stable ;-)

--
Luis M

lemsx1@latinomixed.com