Re: Gnome-session hangs at splash screen

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 05:59:10PM -0500, digger vermont wrote:
> 	Do you start up anything with a dialog, such as a gksu?
> When I logon I have a dialog for gksu to start Firestarter which stops
> the rest of Gnome from loading.  It is covered by the splash screen.  So
> I just blindly type in the password hit enter and loading then
> continues.

Hi Digger,

I removed everything from my .xsession file except 'exec gnome-session'.
To my knowledge, nothing else was loading. I was able to make some
progress when I did dpkg-reconfigure locales because I was setting
LC_CTYPE=en_US in my .bashrc. This got me to the point where the Gnome
Proxy was loading but then I got "Application 'gnome-settings-daemon'
has crashed" six times before Gnome hung again.

I eventually gave up, archived my home dir, deleted and recreated my
user and am progressively copying over things from the old home dir to
the new one (including .gconf* and .gnome*). I don't know what the other
item was in my home dir that was causing Gnome to hang but am glad to be
back in business again.

Thanks for the suggestion,
William

--