Re: gnome is testing appears broken

See below for comments.

Jordi Mallach wrote:

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 12:27:42PM +1100, Brendan J Simon wrote:
I am trying to install gnome on my PowerBook 17 which is running testing. Unfortunately I can't get gnome-session to run at all. I have used gnome 1.4 in the past on powerpc and intel machines and have been very happy. It seems testing has a mixture of gnome 2.2 and 2.4 and some of the packages seem to conflict with each other. Also I have read that there have been some problems with powerpc ports which is very sad.

As far as I know, all of GNOME in testing is GNOME 2.2 still. Not even
the 2.4 libs have hit Sarge yet, but that could happen sometime soon.

GNOME on testing/powerpc should work well.

I hope so :) I'll double check my powerpc machine when I get to work regarding 2.2 and 2.4 in testing. There are definately some packages on my Intel machine that have a version of 2.4 but they might not actually be part of gnome. eg. gnome-themes, gnome-gv, etc.
All 3 of them should work ok: 1.4 in Woody, 2.2 in Sarge, 2.4 in Sid.

What exact problem do you have?

I have a .xsession and a .xinitrc with the line "gnome-session" and I have sawfish-gnome installed. On my old powerpc machine with gnome 1.4 I get a panel at the bottom with the foot menu etc. It is now customised with launchers etc. I also have added a panel at the top of the screen and the left hand side.

On my new machine it takes a long long time to get a splash screen up, and then that is it. I don't get any panels and I don't get any menus when I click on the desktop. I assume the latter is because the isn't a window manager running. I probably don't have the right packages installed or am missing something. I think the machine has testing and stable in /etc/apt/sources.list and maybe this is causing some problems ???

Any ideas on what is going on??? I'm using a xfree86 v4.3.0 from experimental as my hardware requires it. The machine is too new and XF86 in Debian is so way behind. I don't think the X server is the problem as KDE seems to work OK.

Cheers,
Brendan Simon.