Re: xterm colors - saga continues

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 02:30:13AM +0200, Juergen Kreileder said:
> Walt Reed <debian@linuxguy.com> writes:
>
> > Did the upgrade to Gnome 2.4 and am seeing some bizarre behavior.
> >
> > First, xterm is behaving strangly with regards to colors.
>
> gnome-settings-daemon now sets some color related X resources so
> non-GNOME applications look more like GNOME applications.
>
> You can change xterm's background color back to white by adding
>
> xterm*background: white
>
> to ~/.Xresources.  (To enable the new setting instantly you can use
> 'xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources').
> (Look at /usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb/*.ad to see what resources
> get changed by gnome-settings-daemon.)

OK, seems that this fixed the default background colors, but something
is overriding other settings. In addition to the background colors,
something is messing with the vt100 colors and it's NOT in
/usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb/*.ad

I had to copy the vt100 section from /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm-color
to my  ~/.Xresources for it to take.

Sigh.

Anyone know where the vt100 colors are being messed with? Is there any
documentation that describes where ALL the resources get played with?
How many other applications are now overriding site-wide defaults? Are
we going to need a
/etc/X11/app-defaults-i-really-mean-it-so-dont-override-me-damnit/ in
order to get site-wide defaults that don't change out from under you?