Re: xterm colors / sawfish fonts

Walt Reed <debian@linuxguy.com> writes:

> Did the upgrade to Gnome 2.4 and am seeing some bizarre behavior.
>
> First, xterm is behaving strangly with regards to colors.
>
> In my .xinitrc I have:
> xterm&
> exec gnome-session
>

> Xterm starts first with a pure white background. Every subsequent
> xterm starts with a light gray background. Why?

gnome-settings-daemon now sets some color related X resources so
non-GNOME applications look more like GNOME applications.

You can change xterm's background color back to white by adding

xterm*background: white

to ~/.Xresources.  (To enable the new setting instantly you can use
'xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources').

> Also, if I ssh into another box it resets my white background as
> gray - Doesn't matter what the box is - could be Deb woody, Redhat,
> Solaris, etc. My bright-white is gone from the first xterm....

X resources are DISPLAY specific, it doesn't matter on which machine
the application runs.

(Look at /usr/share/control-center-2.0/xrdb/*.ad to see what resources
get changed by gnome-settings-daemon.)

        Juergen

--
Juergen Kreileder, Blackdown Java-Linux Team
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/