Re: xterm colors / sawfish fonts

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 11:27:22AM +1000, Jeff Waugh said:
> <quote who="Walt Reed">
>
> > Frankly, it's fine to muck with gnome-terminal all they want, but leave my
> > xterm alone!!! :-) Seriously, it screws up users. I was thinking that an
> > xterm upgrade caused the problem. I had NO IDEA that Gnome was messing
> > with non-Gnome apps. In fact, it makes me wonder what other things they
> > are messing with that they really have no business messing with...
> >
> > IMHO, debian should NOT enable this behavior by default, or should at
> > least have a debconf question that allows users to enable it. This kind of
> > thing causes very unexpected behavior, and without knowledge of what was
> > causing it, I really had no way of tracking down what was causing the
> > change in behavior. I was damn near ready to go out and compile my own
> > xterm to see if that would help.
>
> The correct solution is most likely going to involve a special case for
> xterm in the grdb code (which Ross re-added to GNOME 2.4). I wonder if there
> was a special case for it in the original grdb...

The problem is that it's wild-carded. On one side, yes, it can force
non-gnome apps to be more "gnome like", but on the other it can really
screw things up for certain applications. Since it IS wildcarded,
chances are is that it WILL be messing with things that it shouldn't,
and cause broken behavior because nobody knows what the real user impact
is to random applications. The reality is that there are LOTS of
non-gnome terminal applications that will be impacted. It's not just
xterm - and how would this impact other apps such as mail, text editing,
web browsers, etc.?