Meltdown after upgrade to gnome 2.4

Hi all,

I've had a rather disastrous experience upgrading from gnome 2.2 to 2.4 in sid. After the installation was finished, gdm's greeter kept dying until the gdm wrapper-thingie mercifully put gdm to sleep. X server was running correctly but the greeter wasn't happy. So, I installed and ran xdm, only to have gnome-session mysteriously die moments after generating the 2.4 splash screen, which looks very nice, I have to say.

Curiously enough, my system had no other session manager aside from
gnome-session installed. Didn't the basic x-window-system package depend on some kind of generic X session manager? Anyways, after setting xterm as my session manager, I found that all GTK2 apps were segfaulting somewhere in libc. I realize that I haven't exactly inundated you all with technical info, but does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? By all means, let me know what further information you need.

Regards,

-Chris