Re: gnome-core should depend on fam

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:38:42PM +0300, Mantas Kriau?i?nas wrote:

 > I think, that gnome-core should depend on fam, because lots of people
 > are installing gnome-core, not gnome and in some "how to install
 > gnome 2.x in debian" instructions gnome-core package is mentioned
 > (see for example http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=992)

 Since we are all thinking, I think you are all wrong :-)

 What depends on fam and why?  Whatever needs fam to work correctly
 should depend on fam, it's really that simple.  What you are doing is
 hand-waving about the possibility that some user might not want to have
 the portmapper and/or fam running.  Looking at /etc/init.d/portmap:

 test -f /sbin/portmap || exit 0

 Hmm... that feels wrong, idependently of this discussion.  The file
 exists, but that doesn't mean the file is executable.  That should
 read:

 test -f /sbin/portmap -a -x /sbin/portmap || exit 0

 Which means you can use dpkg-statoverride to prevent the thing from
 ever starting.  Alternatively you could use dpkg-divert to hide the
 thing from the script's sight.  The same applies to fam.  So, the
 corner cases are happy and the rest of the world gets what they paid
 for: a correctly installed system where dependencies actually have a
 meaning.

 In short: get the dependency out of "gnome"/"gnome-core" and put it
 where it really belongs, whatever that is.

--
Marcelo