Re: Bits from the GNOME Team

Le Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 11:12:26AM +0100, Ross Burton écrivait:
> > 4- CVS/SVN usage :
> > ------------------
> >
> > Akira TAGOH has proposed to create a module for each source-package (the
> > module name is the name of the source package) with the debian dir
> > included.  We could include the whole package for the native ones and
> > doc for example.
>
> I like the idea of the full upstream source in CVS, as it should make
> things easier.  However, I've never actually done this, has anyone else?

Considering the size of Gnome I doubt this is a good idea. Better only
maintain the debian directory with SVN/CVS. Of course, the debian dir
should be the only change to the upstream source. That means all
packages should use a system like dpatch to be able to modify the
upstream sources.

> > ie: a 1.2-1working2 version for the changes from 1.2-1 to 1.2-2.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to simply add entries to the changelog for 1.2-2
> but not "finalize" it (in the emacs debian-changelog-mode sense) by not
> adding the date?  This way the changelog only contains the changes and
> not a number of fake versions.

A convention to avoid mistakes is to use the new version but indicate
"UNRELEASED" instead of unstable to avoid unwanted uploads.

Suppose current unstable version is 1.2-1 and you want to work on the
next upload which is planned to be 1.2-2 you just put this in the
changelog :
mypkg (1.2-2) UNRELEASED; urgency=low

   * Maintainer One
     - Change 1
     - Change 2
   * Maintainer Two
     - Change 1
     - Change 2

And when you're ready to upload you just s/UNRELEASED/unstable/ and
you're done.

Of course, if you want to make snapshots available to the public, it's
better to change the version so that nobody report bugs against the
snapshot thinking that they are using the final package.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com
Earn money with free software: http://www.geniustrader.org