Re: weird gnome panel behaviour

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 07:25:43PM +0300, Mpiktas wrote:

> After today's update and reboot, I got unwanted edge panel. If I try to
> remove  or configure it, it crashes. I can add items to it though. Also
> this panel has  only one hide button, without the arrow. Maybe that's why
> it crashes. As far  as I know gnome-panel was not upgraded. I suspect
> gdesklets and devilspie,  because they are the only packages related
> directly to GNOME desktop, and were  upgraded today. But it is unlikely
> (for me at least) that they can cause such  a disrupt. So how can I remove
> this panel manually? Where information about  what panels are and what they
> contain is?

if, after a crash, pieces of gnome misbehave, look for broken xml
files in ~/.gconf and /etc/gconf.

   find ~/.gconf /etc/gconf -type f -print0 | xargs -0 file -Ni | egrep -v '(xml|empty)$'

might help (or it might not---)

--
John Lenton (john@grulic.org.ar) -- Random fortune:
Q:	How do you know when you're in the <ethnic> section of Vermont?