Re: vera font curiosity

On Mon, 2003-09-15 at 00:56, Ryan Lovett wrote:

> Last week I built GNOME 2.4 using garnome and was pleased to discover a change
> in the appearance of the Bitstream Vera font. It looked like screenshots I'd
> seen of Red Hat desktops. Just now, however, I installed the debs from the
> bxlug site posted recently and found that the Vera font reverted to its
> previous appearance.

I had a long-running discussion with a friend who runs Gentoo over why
Debian's font rendering looked different...  I never believed him that
it was quite as bad as he thought until I saw his machine.

I returned home and investigated straight away why Debian's Anti-Aliased
font rendering looks almost as if they're not Anti-Aliased at all!

If you prefer the upstream rendering, do the following:

apt-get source freetype

Edit debian/rules:

	Comment out the two "patch" commands marked as "CVS updates"

	Comment out the 030-bytecode-interpreter patch

	Comment out the 060-freetype2-bitmap-style patch

	Comment out the 070-ft2demos-2.1.5-no-rpath patch

If you wish, add a changelog entry appending "hinting1" (or somesuch) to
the version.

Now build your new freetype packages and install them.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?