vera font curiosity

Last week I built GNOME 2.4 using garnome and was pleased to discover a change
in the appearance of the Bitstream Vera font. It looked like screenshots I'd
seen of Red Hat desktops. Just now, however, I installed the debs from the
bxlug site posted recently and found that the Vera font reverted to its
previous appearance.

I've attached a small screenshot. At the top is the GNOME 2.2 (sid) and GNOME
2.4 (bxlug) appearance and at the bottom is the GNOME 2.4 (garnome). Note the
difference in the 'a'. I opened the bottom window by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
my garnome build and using /usr/bin/gnome-font-properties from the bxlug
packages.  One of the libraries is responsible? Is there a configuration to
enable the bottom appearance no matter which GNOME build I'm using?

Ryan