Re: shutdown from gnome logout dialog

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:21:05PM +0200, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:10:13 +0200, Thomas Morin wrote:
>
> > PS: I'm not the first to propose such a setup, after setting it up, I
> > saw a report in the BTS proposing more or less the same thing; I don't
> > know for which package it was submitted, and I can't manage to find
> > it...
>
> Looks like an obvious feature request; I had pretty much the same idea.
> That makes me 100% certain that this feature will never appear in the
> GNOME2 branch ;-)
>
> It saves just a few clicks or keystrokes though. After logging out, the
> Shutdown and Reboot features are available from gdm's System menu when
> activated. Why is this request so popular when it saves so little time?
> (Ancient Windows rites?)

Because you can tell it to shutdown, and then forget about the box,
instead of having to log out of gnome, wait a few minutes (depending on
what crazy gnome app is currently running or not, and yes, i have a
rather fast box, an athlon 2500+), and come back to perform the second
step.

Furthermore, if you configured gdm to auto-login into gnome directly,
you will never really need to see it.

Finally, if it is such an unusefull functionality, why has redhat, which
employs many gnome people do they not, implemented it ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther