Re: So what do the Debian Gnome maintainers say?

Em Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:58:15 +0200, Johannes Rohr <j.rohr@gmx.de> escreveu:

> With control-center, the issue isn't glibc but gnome-pilot, right? In
> sarge there is libgnome-pilot1 while sid has libgnome-pilot2. The old
> gnome-pilot in sarge depends on libcapplet0 which is part of the old
> control-center source package.
>
> I haven't investigated, why the new gnome-pilot isn't ready for sarge
> yet. Someone recently wrote that the problem involves a long
> dependency chain, including KDE. But http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/
> certainly has the answer.

It's all about glibc and gcc (well, there's also perl doing some
nasty stuff to some dependencies of gnome-pilot, like pilot-link,
IIRC) after all.

It does, indeed involve kde stuff, like kdelibs (not sure if it does,
yet) and kpilot (or kdepim, can't remember correctly).

I'll get back to my previous point: I guess we're lacking cooperation.
Debian has turned into a giant with lots of maintainers working
alone, behaving like the package was 'theirs', and that has been
leading to the territorialism problem we are currently facing
in lots of places.

I invite everyone to start thinking about this. What can we do
to have a more comunity-led[0] development? We seem to be making
progresses on packages like glibc, for example, which is now
maintained by a team. A much better approach.

Stuff like 'why shouldn't I have uploaded packagex because of
those gnome fools' and 'you know that release schedule is
foolish, I'm working with real goals' do not help Debian at
all.

kov, which also feels guilty of such stuff

[0]: could not find a better definition... I guess you can
understand what I mean... it's not simply about doing everything
the whole comunity (e.g. our users) wants, but trying to make
good for Debian as a whole all the times.

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>