Re: Gnome 2.4 in sid

<quote who="david.venz@invensys.com">

> 1. Against traditional conservativism, 2.4 goes into unstable 'tomorrow',
> best-case being it all goes in together after being quickly trialled for
> each arch in experimental

(I wouldn't be horrified if this happened, it seems like a sane way to go
about it if no one is concerned with having a stable 2.2 backup plan.)

> 2. It takes some time to iron out non-stability related things like package
> Replaces: and Depends: lines, or fixing transition scripts for (a) 1.4
> users and/or (b) 2.2 users
> 3. Meanwhile hell freezes over and gcc/glibc are able to go into testing,
> and 2.2 would have gone into testing except it's been replaced by 2.4 which
> is not ready for 'testing'.
> 4. sarge is released with 1.4 desktop or delayed until 2.4 is ready?

That's my worst fear. :-)

Some of the 'soft' issues that may be encountered: Debian version upgrade
issues, software stability (we say it's stable, but now users have their
hands on it...), packaging, portability, user upgrade issues, and some more
I was thinking about last night but forgot. ;-)

I can understand the "to heck with it, fuck waiting for glibc to be sorted
out" POV, but I feel that having a stable 2.x-based backup plan is hugely
important. If the shit hits the fan, would it be worse to ship with 1.4 or
2.2? :-)

- Jeff

   On a clear day, I bet you can really see the class struggle from that
                            penthouse of yours.