Re: Thoughts on GNOME 2.4 migration

Em Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:55:59 +0100, Mark Howard <mh@debian.org> escreveu:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 01:15:09PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > I believe the RM explicitely mentioned ways of requesting builds for
> > packages. I believe we could have buildd people cooperating with us
> > in building the packages.
>
> Really? I thought there was only mention of the possibility of it being
> possible to request builds; but nobody is working on it.
>
> I hope I'm wrong.

Indeed, it seems like it is not "automated" yet, let me quote:

	* experimental is not, and will not be, automatically built by our
 	  standard buildd infrastructure. Instead, you should ask other
 	  developers who own machines of the various architectures to
 	  do a build for you; please wait for your source upload to hit
 	  the mirrors, and include the package name, version, and a list
 	  of any dependencies that should be satisfied from experimental
 	  rather than unstable in your request.

 	  We hope that eventually we'll be able to incorporate this
 	  mechanism into the standard buildd infrastructure, but it's
 	  expected experimental will only ever be built-on-request.

 	  On-request experimental builders are encouraged to make an
 	  unsigned .changes file, a build log, and, ideally, the finished
 	  build tree (with .o files, etc) available to the maintainer
 	  along with the compiled .debs, rather than uploading straight to
 	  the archive.

 	  Developer accessible porting machines are listed at
 	  http://db.debian.org/machines.cgi, and unstable chroots are
 	  available for almost all architectures. Contact debian-admin
 	  about any packages you need installed.

Which means, to me, that all we need is some cooperation from
people that have access to such machines (or we could use the
developer accessible machines to collectively build the packages).

Michel, from what I got in his signature works on debian-powerpc,
so he could help building the packages for ppc, and so on.

It is possible, we just need proper cooperation/coordenation.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>