Re: Epiphany ready for production?

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 10:47, Ramiro Alba Queipo wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 15:29, James Strandboge wrote:
> > >
> > > I have not noticed that java was not working either. So:
> > >
> > > Plugin status with mozilla-1.4:
> > >
> > > flash                 NOT WORKING
> > > java                  NOT WORKING
> > > mplayer-mozilla       OK    (from marillat.free.fr)
> > > acroread-plugin       OK    (from marillat.free.fr)
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me something about this?
> >
> > Hmm.  All these work for me. For the backport, I compiled mozilla 1.4,
> > epiphany 0.9.2 and galeon 1.3.7.20030803 with gcc-2.95 for compatibility
> > with all the plugins floating around out there.  acroread and flash
> > sometimes max the cpu, but work and don't crash the machine here.
> > However, with the mozilla 1.3 versions (previously in the
> > gnome2.2/mozilla-1.3/ directory), acroread did not work in galeon or
> > epiphany, but did in mozilla.  I therefore uploaded the mozilla 1.4
> > based browsers.
> >
> > For the plugins I use, I added these lines to sources.list:
> > deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/debian/ woody main non-free
> > deb http://marillat.free.fr stable main
> >
> > then did:
> > apt-get install acroread-plugin mplayer-mozilla flashplayer-mozilla
> > realplayer mplayer-686 w32codecs transcode mplayer-fonts j2re1.3
> >
> > and everything works.  I ended up with these versions:
> > ii  mplayer-686         0.90-woody0.3       The Ultimate Movie Player
> > For Linux
> > ii  mplayer-mozilla     0.80-woody0.0       Embedded video player for
> > mozilla
> > ii  flashplayer-mozilla 6.0.79-woody0.0     Macromedia Flash Player
> > ii  realplayer          8.0.9               Real Player (installer)
> > ii  acroread-plugin     5.08-woody0.0       Adobe Acrobat(R) Reader
> > plugin for mozilla / konqueror
> > ii  j2re1.3             1.3.1.02b-2         Blackdown Java(TM) 2 Runtime
> > Environment, Standard Edi
> >

> I have exactly the same packages and Java plugin it does work actually,
> but flashplayer does not. May be due to the fact that you compiled
> yourself mozilla-1.4 and I got it from gnome2.2/mozilla-1.3 repository?

No-- I am the gnome2.2 backport maintainer-- you are using my packages
and so am I.

> > If someone knows of a j2re1.4 that works on woody, I'd be interested.
>
> I have made my own debian packages from sun binaries if you are
> interested.

Are they apt-gettable?

> > Is it possible it is an esound problem?  I did:
> > dpkg-reconfigure -plow mozilla-browser
> >
> > and selected esddsp.  Modify /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf and have:
> > ao=sdl:esd
> >
> > You need to have libsdl1.2debian-esd and esound installed, and sound
> > enabled in gnome.
>
> There is another thing probably related to sound configuration that I mentioned
> in a previous message:
>
> 1 - I must often kill esd daemon as it blocks gnome applications and the desktop taskbar

Do what I mentioned above, and you should be ok.  Any non-gnome
applications need to be configured to use esd (eg, xmms has an esd
plugin).  If they can't be configured to use esd, then do:

esdctl off ; yourapp ; esdctl on

esdctl makes esd free the soundcard.  Depending on your soundcard, you
may want to try the alsa drivers.  Just last night I debugged gnome
hangs on my wife's laptop-- she has an i810_audio chipset, and the in
kernel driver would keep hanging.  I could trigger the problems by
having gnome sounds enabled, then toggled a gnome checkbox (ie something
that triggered a sound event) as fast as I could.  Installed alsa 0.9.6
(I've been using 0.9.4 on my laptop with great success) and no matter
how fast or how long I toggled that checkbox, it didn't hang.

> 2 - Gnome sound recorder crashes when trying to execute it.

Yes.  known bug.  It is basically unusable for everyone.  Apparently it
is on upstream's todo list.

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com