Re: Epiphany ready for production?

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 15:29, James Strandboge wrote:

> > I have not noticed that java was not working either. So:
> >
> > Plugin status with mozilla-1.4:
> >
> > flash                 NOT WORKING
> > java                  NOT WORKING
> > mplayer-mozilla       OK    (from marillat.free.fr)
> > acroread-plugin       OK    (from marillat.free.fr)
> >
> > Can anyone tell me something about this?
>
> Hmm.  All these work for me. For the backport, I compiled mozilla 1.4,
> epiphany 0.9.2 and galeon 1.3.7.20030803 with gcc-2.95 for compatibility
> with all the plugins floating around out there.  acroread and flash
> sometimes max the cpu, but work and don't crash the machine here.
> However, with the mozilla 1.3 versions (previously in the
> gnome2.2/mozilla-1.3/ directory), acroread did not work in galeon or
> epiphany, but did in mozilla.  I therefore uploaded the mozilla 1.4
> based browsers.
>
> For the plugins I use, I added these lines to sources.list:
> deb ftp://ftp.tux.org/pub/java/debian/ woody main non-free
> deb http://marillat.free.fr stable main
>
> then did:
> apt-get install acroread-plugin mplayer-mozilla flashplayer-mozilla
> realplayer mplayer-686 w32codecs transcode mplayer-fonts j2re1.3
>
> and everything works.  I ended up with these versions:
> ii  mplayer-686         0.90-woody0.3       The Ultimate Movie Player
> For Linux
> ii  mplayer-mozilla     0.80-woody0.0       Embedded video player for
> mozilla
> ii  flashplayer-mozilla 6.0.79-woody0.0     Macromedia Flash Player
> ii  realplayer          8.0.9               Real Player (installer)
> ii  acroread-plugin     5.08-woody0.0       Adobe Acrobat(R) Reader
> plugin for mozilla / konqueror
> ii  j2re1.3             1.3.1.02b-2         Blackdown Java(TM) 2 Runtime
> Environment, Standard Edi

I have exactly the same packages and Java plugin it does work actually,
but flashplayer does not. May be due to the fact that you compiled
yourself mozilla-1.4 and I got it from gnome2.2/mozilla-1.3 repository?

> If someone knows of a j2re1.4 that works on woody, I'd be interested.

I have made my own debian packages from sun binaries if you are
interested.

> Is it possible it is an esound problem?  I did:
> dpkg-reconfigure -plow mozilla-browser
>
> and selected esddsp.  Modify /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf and have:
> ao=sdl:esd
>
> You need to have libsdl1.2debian-esd and esound installed, and sound
> enabled in gnome.

There is another thing probably related to sound configuration that I mentioned
in a previous message:

1 - I must often kill esd daemon as it blocks gnome applications and the desktop taskbar
2 - Gnome sound recorder crashes when trying to execute it.

You may have meet the same problem and find the solution.

Thankfull

Regards

Ramiro Alba