Re: Gnome 2.4

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 02:56:50PM +0200, Jérôme Warnier wrote:
> Le ven 08/08/2003 à 13:20, Jeff Waugh a écrit :
> > <quote who="Sven Luther">
> >
> > > What you need official woody backports, and that is something i think
> > > would be good to have, but i am not the one to decide about that, and i am
> > > not sure our current infrastructure can handle it. It is ready for it, but
> > > if you consider the considerable amount of network space and bandwith as
> > > well as the load on the autobuilders, i am not sure it would be
> > > realsitically doable.
> > >
> > > Also, such a project would be better discussed in a post sarge release
> > > timeframe, in order not to delay the sarge release further than is
> > > necessary.
> >
> > On the other hand, it can be done completely independently of Debian
> > manpower and serverpower, by non-maintainers (cooperating with official
> > Debian maintainers) who are interested in working with fresh GNOME Desktop
> > packages on woody for fun or for work.
> I was thinking about this, yes, even if I apply to be an official
> maintener also.

Notice that a group of official maintainers whose work are only to
handle a official backport, and not manage packages, would i believe
make an official backport easier to implement and be accepted..

Just go ahead with your plans, but try to discuss them with the people
who have the power to do things. And Jeff is right, unless you go ahead
and do something, you will just be ignored about this.

Also, maybe you could contact the SkoleLinux people, they are also
interested in such a thing.

Friendly,

Sven Luther