Re: GNOME Packaging Policy (was: Re: Package name for gnome panel applets ?)

Yo Ross!

Em 31 Jul 2003 11:23:34 +0100, Ross Burton <r.burton@180sw.com> escreveu:

> On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 17:33, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > I don't know what kind of changes you've done to the API documentation
> > stuff, but would like to propose the attached patch regarding that.
> > I did not search throughouly for the docbook sources, but did not
> > find it at a first glance, so the patch is against the current HTML
> > version published on your page.
>
> It turns out that I have an updated version of the policy on my disk
> which wasn't online, with devhelp updates...

Yeah, I thought so =).

> What you wrote in the patch and what I had written were fairly similar.
> Could you read the latest draft and see if there is anything you would
> change/add/remove?

"If gtk-doc is used to generate the API documentation, the documentation
 should be installed in the default location, /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/[package],
 with a symbolic link in /usr/share/doc/[package]/html. [1] This ensures that
 gtk-doc and other tools which use the gtk-doc metadata (such as DevHelp)
 can find the documentation."

I believe that can be a little misleading. The directory name in
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/ is not always the package name. Take gtk+
for an example.

[kov]@[beterraba] $ ls /usr/share/doc/libgtk2.0-doc/
atk@                  gdk-pixbuf/        refcounting.txt.gz
changelog.Debian.gz   generation.txt.gz  sizing-test.txt.gz
changelog.gz          glib@              styles.txt
copyright             gobject@           text_widget.txt.gz
defsformat.txt.gz     gtk/               tree-column-sizing.txt
developers.txt        gtk-faq/           widget_geometry.txt.gz
dnd_internals.txt.gz  gtk-tutorial/      widget_system.txt.gz
gdk/                  pango@

[kov]@[beterraba] $ ls /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/
atk@                gdk-pixbuf@  gtk@            gtk-tutorial@  libgnome@
bonobo-activation/  glib@        gtk-faq@        libbonobo@     linc@
gdk@                gobject@     gtksourceview/  libbonoboui/   pango@

libgtk2.0-doc itself provides gtk, gdk, gdk-pixbuf but the package
name is libgtk2.0-doc. So using [package] for both "examples" is not
good. Also, I believe it could be better doing the libgtk2.0-doc's way:
install at /usr/share/doc/[package]/html/[0] and symlink to
/usr/share/gtk-doc/html/. That'll acomplish debian-policy's recommendation,
I think. Not sure, would have to check. Comments on that?

Also, maybe the first paragraph needs a bit of clarification. I think,
for example, that gconf may not be providing docs because of misunderstandings
of that paragraph (it uses --disable-gtk-doc on it's configure script, I filled
a bug right now).

A last issue is I was messing around with gtk-doc yesterday trying to get
gconf's package to generate the .devhelp file for it's docs but I didn't
succed. I read at the NEWS.gz file for gtk-doc-tools that devhelp generation
is only done in XML mode, so maybe we should recommend or mandate using
this mode. Any clues on that?

Thanks,

[]s!

[0]: notice that libgtk2.0-doc does not actually use the 'html' directory

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>
Debian: <http://www.debian.org>  *  <http://www.debian-br.org>